Whole Roast Chicken
CRAIGIE ON MAIN – CHEF TONY MAWS
60g kosher salt
11 g kombu
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp fennel seeds
2 ea allspice berries
2 ea juniper berries
1 tsp chile flakes
2 ea cloves
1 ea 4# chicken, trussed.
2 tblsp chicken or duck fat
1 sprig thyme
1. Add all brine ingredients together and bring to a simmer.
2. Remove from heat and chill.
3. Place whole chicken in brine for 3 hrs.
4. take chicken off brine and wipe dry
5. Season the chicken with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
6. Place chicken, fat and thyme in a sous vide bag and seal on medium so as not to distort the shape of the bird but still removes all air.
7. Place chicken into an 70c bath until the internal temp is 64c. approx. 2.5 hours
8. let the chicken rest for 20 min at room temperature.
9. put chicken into ice water for 3 hrs until thoroughly chilled.
Preheat combi-oven to 425 with “browning” mode on.
1 hour before serving remove chicken from bag and wipe off as much of the gelled juice as possible and season lightly with additional salt and pepper.
Place on a roasting rack in the combi oven for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until the thigh joint is barely warm. Remove and let rest 10 minutes. Carve and serve.